Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (2010, MPAA rated PG)

Review:

Now, I know that I've been reviewing movies that are out in theaters in mainstream circulation, but I saw this today on my Netflix Streaming, and I just adored it!  So you all get exposed to it, too!  So there!

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend was released in 2010, and I don't know how I missed it!  It opens with a young writer, Ethan (played with an endearing charm by Christopher Gorham), getting turned down at a publishers house yet again.  He retreats to a small cafe where his waitress Jesse (captured well by the talented Alyssa Milano), spurred into action by her loving uncle's (Beau Bridges...I love that guy!) teasing,  introduces herself to him. The connection between them is immediate and very sweet and humorous.  Sadly, 5 minutes later, a strong, confident Troy (Michael Landes...who I was prepared to hate on Ethan's behalf, but just couldn't!) walks in and asks Jesse out.  Troy and Ethan seem to have a lot in common, and they both click well with Jesse as she gets to know both of them....but who will she ultimately choose? 

This movie is so sweet, and so endearing, and so tempered with humor and wit, it made me happy watching it.  There are strong foundations in the characters' lives of values and love, and everyone treats everyone else with strength, poise, and consideration.  Beautiful examples of loving families who care for one another, and fight for one another's happiness litter the story, giving it a depth that is so sadly lacking in many of today's Rom-Coms.  If I was 16 again, going on my first date, this movie would be so beautifully perfect!  It brings back the idea that dating isn't about hopping into the sack at a specific point in a timeline, or moving in together after a month.  Dating is about getting to know one another.  Dating is about those sweet, awkward moments where nerves get in the way of being your best self, but the other person sees your best self shine through the nervousness.  Dating is about getting the opportunity to fly during that first sweet kiss, and being able to savor it for the special moment that it is. 

Have I said that I liked this movie?

I won't even say anything else about this movie, except this:  If you like romantic comedies, you will like this one!

I give this movie 5 stars out of 5.  I couldn't find a single thing that I thought horrible or wrong with it. 
*****

For the moms:

Language:  nope, not a problem!

Violence:  None (unless you count the teasing of beloved brothers)

Sexuality:  Not a problem.  The main characters indulge in some very beautiful kisses, but there is no nudity or overt sensuality.

Boys will like this movie because the characters tease and play with one another.  There is a good amount of silly humor to the script, but this really is more a girls movie.

Girls will love this movie because it is sweet, romantic, fun, and ends happily.  A Happily Ever After for the 21st century!  Yay!

Topics of Discussion:

What is the ultimate purpose of dating?  Did the characters go about it well or badly?

How would you have behaved if you were in Jesse's position? Would you have done the same as she did? Why did she choose to hide her "secret"?

Does family have a part in the dating life?  If so, why? If not, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment